Sunday, October 19, 2008

Shots with new 50mm 1.8 lens!

Here are some initial shots with my new prime lens! Totally fun! Now keep in mind, I just got the lens on Thursday so I am still learning how to effectively use this lens ~ especially since on the D40, I am forced to shoot in manual mode with it. I've only shot in manual once before, so this is all very, very new to me! But, I must say....manual mode is not that difficult at all! I am totally loving shooting manual. :D





So now that I've had it for a few days, what are my initial thoughts on this lens?? Well, let's see.....it's AMAZING! Talk about deep bokeh! And the sharpness is great! The only thing I need to get used to is not having a zoom on it. A prime lens only has one focal length, so you must move in closer or father away from your subject. With a prime lens, you sacrifice the zoom for more sharpness. Fortunately, I do have a zoom lens for those times I can't get in closer. :D

Lastly, one of the biggest reasons I bought this lens was because of the wide aperture (f1.8), which makes it a great lens for low light shots. We went to a tractor pull on Friday evening and I was able to take some great shots in very low light without a flash. I was quite impressed! I didn't post any of those because unfortunately, my focus was off on all those shots. LOL! Oh well, it's all part of the growing process, right??

All in all, I highly recommend this lens! For only $109, this lens packs a lot of power and flexibility for the money.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Great photos Jocelyn! I bought the Canon version ("Nifty Fifty") several months ago and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the bokeh it produces. It's probably my favorite lens to use for food photography and portraits. Have fun with yours!

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Have fun! Once you get used to it, I am sure that it will turn out to be a worthy investment- if it hasn't already.

Unknown said...

I have the Canon version too and use it for MOST of my children's photography.

Anonymous said...

I bet that you like that lens. And great shots! :)