Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Photoshop - to edit or not to edit...

....that is the question!




So, what do many photographers think about using a photo editing software to edit their pictures?? Opinions run from being a "purist" (getting it right in camera from the start and no need to post edit) to believing that photography is an art form; and using a tool such as Photoshop is okay by them to enhance their artistic creativities and style.

I am one of those photographers who fall into both camps. To me, a good photographer must know how to get the fundamentals of photography right. No amount of post editing can fix an image if you do not have a good picture to start with! But, I also believe that Photoshop does have its place and can definitely take your photography/artistic skills up a level.

As a beginner photographer, I am continuing my focus on the the basics. Although, I must confess....I do utilize Photoshop often. :D In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference. Had I not been already using Photoshop for years (web designing) prior to getting into photography, I don't think I would be utilizing Photoshop into my photos as much as I do already (it has a high learning curve). :)

Above are before/after photos to showcase how post editing can take up your photos a notch. Isn't this young maiden such a beauty??? She is the eldest daughter to one of our dear friends at church. This was taken at a House Warming-Birthday-Adoption celebration at our other dear friends' home several weeks ago. It was a totally fun time!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do love using editing to make my photos pop, but agree that the basics need to be there in the photo as well. I currently use Aperture to edit, but am HIGHLY jealous of those who have Photoshop since I see how pure it makes the subject's skin look - totally flawless! But, for now since I can't afford it, I do what I can with what I have.

Jocelyn K. said...

I totally understand about cost, Jocelyn! My dh used Photoshop for years (prior to our marriage even) in his computer business, so I was fortunate to have already had the software.

But! There is Photoshop Elements! It is a basic, scaled down version of Photoshop and works quite well in post editing. I've seen Elements run as low as $59-$69 if you look real carefully. Our homeschool group's yearbook staff is using Elements this year and every staff member is required to have it.

BETTER YET....

GIMP is a totally FREE photo editing software that utilizes a lot of the features as Photoshop!

HTH! :)

natebates said...

(please forgive me if i don't know all the proper photography terms!)

i think your photo editing is pretty good -- it gives the picture more depth and makes it pop (both overall, and specific parts of the picture, like how her left arm is so much more 3d with the shadowing). i love your artificial shadows on the stairs and bottom of the picture, but i think i would've done a little less contrast overall. if someone hadn't seen the original picture, they might think the super highlight on her hair was the result of some artificial brightening/contrast enhancement.

also, when applying filters / adjustments to the whole picture it doesn't always help every portion of the picture. for example, in the adjusted picture her right thumb looks blotchy and almost bruised, and there's a more prominent shadow above her left eye that isn't necessarily more appealing.

also, the increased darkness in her smile and her eyes (and maybe the added fake shadows too) make the adjusted photo a little more devilish. little adjustments can add up to a big change in the overall attitude of a picture.

definitely shows what you can accomplish with processing, though!

(and i have the same philosophical debate with regard to retouching people... "gee, she'll look better if i even out those eyebrows" or "maybe i'll just smooth out that wrinkle...")