Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Tip: Flash & Light

Ah, the core of photography -- LIGHT. The word 'photography' comes from the greek words 'photos' - light and 'graph' - to draw. Basically, photography means "drawing with light". A great photographer knows how to capture light in a way that will create a beautiful, captivating image. Personally, I have a ways to go in mastering it! But I am excited to keep learning and growing! :)

Okay, the tip of the week (I taught this to the kids during our last class): Do NOT use your in-camera flash! Yep, that's it for this week's tip. Easy, peezy, right??

I particularly love what Pioneer Woman Photography has to say about flash:

And while we’re on the subject, I never use flash. This is one huge difference between the casual point-and-shoot user and the more serious enthusiast. Flash—at least the kind that hits the subject dead-on—almost always washes out the subject and eliminates the interesting shadows and details that make photos really fabulous. I never use my flash. Ever, ever, ever. If I don’t have enough light to take a shot, I just don’t take it—I dislike flash that much. Oh, and don’t use the flash. Lastly, whatever you do…avoid using your flash.

To reiterate, in-camera/direct flash produces harsh, unflattering light on your subjects. Use available light as much as possible (natural light, candlelight, lamplights, etc). And also, learn the various "temperature" of light (ie: Kelvin scale). This is helpful with regards to white balance!

If you can afford one, use an external flash that can bounce light off a wall. Or for those on a budget (like myself!), I would recommend purchasing a pop-up flash diffuser. I use a Lumiquest Diffuser and have found it very nice to use when I absolutely need extra light. But I must say that I RARELY ever use it -- because I try to take advantage of available light. :) Another great product I am looking into is Prof. Kobre's Light Scoop (only $29.95)! And lastly, one of the best photography websites for light is Strobist.com. (warning: due to possible inappropriate image content, parents please moderate for your younger photographers!)

Below are shots I took for a "fine china" product session. Last week, a friend of mine asked me to photograph one of her fine china settings. I was so challenged by it that I took out my own china to shoot some photos of mine. LOL! I am showing these shots as examples of how light affects your image.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photos. I do prefer to take photos without a flash and using natural sunlight, but unfortunately it isn't always there when parents want you to take photos of their active children - who won't stay put where you think the light hits them best. I find that fill flash helps light up your subjects face alot when needed and you can always adjust the white balance in editing the photos. Although I did finally spend a couple hundred on a nicer flash and use the bounce effect when possible.

Gabriel Hudelson said...

FLASH IS EVIL! *takes screwdriver to onboard flash* DIE! DIE! DIE!

In other words, I agree- though sometimes, if used correctly, it does well.

For everyone like me who cannot afford a diffuser, here is a little tip- you can use a common napkin or paper towel, and get great results. Sometimes you simply cannot use natural light- if you do not have a tripod, or if your subject will not be able to sit perfectly still for the multiple seconds required for proper exposure. But if your subject is sitting still- go get your tripod!

AMEN!