Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tip: De-fogging

Tuesdays have now become my official tip-sharing day on my photoblog! You know... "T", for tip and Tuesday. Clever, I'd say. :) I thought of trying to give it a cute name, but the only thing that came to mind at this hour was "Tipsy Tuesday", and that isn't going to do! So, I guess I'll settle for just "tip". Yeah, I know...unique and so exciting. :D

Well, onto the tip of the week, DE-FOGGING!

Unless you own an expensive lens, this is a very important tip to learn and will add some punch to your photos from the get go. From what I've learned, most digital cameras give off a "haze" in photos. Removing this haze is called de-fogging. By de-fogging, you will increase the contrast in larger parts of the picture (not sharpening the details), in effect giving it a more clean, vibrant look.

De-fogging is the first thing I do to my photos after I've downloaded the originals to my computer. Here's what you do. It will only take a minute!

In Photoshop, go to Filters -> Sharpen -> Unsharpen Mask and enter these numbers:
  • Amount: 20
  • Radius: 60
  • Threshold: 0

Click OK and you're done. Yep, that's it. Easy as pie!

Below are a couple of examples. The top photos are the originals. The second photos are de-fogged. You will notice that the de-fogged photos are more defined and not as flat. You may need to view them in full-size and next to each other to better see the difference. Believe me, it's quite noticeable. :) HTH!





6 comments:

Unknown said...

I can def. see the difference without even viewing them full size! I don't have adobe, but will have to see if my photo editing system has a feature like this. Thanks!

Gabriel Hudelson said...

Well, I do not have a problem with that. Do you know why? Because I shoot with a CANON. ;D

Yes, great tip, though I have done it and notice absolutely no difference whatsoever, it must be a good one, because you are not the only one saying it.

You do have a good way of putting it in an easy to understand way, and that helps- thanks.

Jocelyn K. said...

Gabe, you crack me up! Remember...truth is truth. Believe what you will, but as I've said to you before....Nikon ROCKS! LOL! (Everyone, Gabe's our pastor's son, so we have this "war" going with Nikon vs. Canon! :D)

Actually...there IS haze even in Canon shots. :P I've seen it. Based on what I've read, haze is produced primarily with lower end lenses. Higher, more expensive lenses are able to increase the contrast in camera, thus reducing the haze seen in shots SOOC.

HTH!

Unknown said...

Yeah that is a great tip! When we get the photoshop thing I will DEFINATELY use that! Because some pictures that I take are good but too blurry...so if I could sharpen them...that would help! Thanks for the tip! Oh, you are sooo funny! Tipsy Tuesday is just too funny...no that wouldn't do it would it? LOL
HOLLEN

Anonymous said...

That helped more than I thought it would. Nice find, and thanks for sharing.

Marta said...

Just happened to find your blog tonight via DPS (loved your headshot there) I want you to know I have been enjoying your blog this evening and decided I needed to add a comment. Your blog has some great tips and I love the students' images. I will deffinately be back to check out more!
Marta in AZ