Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tip: Star-shaped Sun Effect


Have you ever wondered how to get that star-shaped sun effect that you see in many pictures?? I have! Well, I stumbled across a DPS thread yesterday that shared this exact tip. So, I am passing this tip along to you! :D

You can achieve this look directly in camera by simply changing the size of your aperture to its smallest opening (largest f-stop, such as f22). After learning of this, I immediately went outside and tried it. And lo and behold, it does work! The above shot was taken yesterday during midday with an f-stop of 22.

Now how simple was that???? Try it with both a small aperture and a larger aperture and see the change! :)

Btw...according to the thread, this would not damage your sensor if you use a very high shutter speed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to know! I actually bought a filter that does this affect.

Hollen said...

I WISH THAT I COULD ADJUST MY APERTURE! LOL I can't do that on my camera and I SO wish that I could! Man!

Anonymous said...

Nice picture. :)